Re: GRUB SYSLINUX booting from logical partiton on USB drive

From: greenfinch
Subject: Re: GRUB SYSLINUX booting from logical partiton on USB drive
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:39:00 +0200

    sdb1   Primary fat32 ~ 800MB
    sdb2   Primary fat32 ~ 800MB
    sbd3   Primary fat32 ~ 800MB
    sdb4   Extended partition
    sdb5   Logical partition ~ 800MB
    sdb6   Logical partition ~ 600MB

- sdb5 was made bootable by: syslinux -sf /dev/sdb5 (SYSLINUX version 3.63)

    ---
    My question is, why there is the boot error?
    Thank you for your answer.

Did you install syslinux files to the sdb5 partition before running syslinux -sf ?
Did you try to install it without the s option?
What filesystem is found in sdb5? syslinux only accepts FAT partition.
If it is a ext3 partition you should use extlinux. adrian15

- The filesystem on the logical partitions sdb5 and sdb6 is fat32
- sdb5 was empty, after the Damn Small Linux zip-file was unpacked into the root of sdb5 - I called /.syslinux -sf /dev/sdb5 from another usb stick, where I have put the currrent SYSLINUX version 3.63. - Manually, I did not copy any SYSLINUX files to sbd5. Only the file ldlinux.sys was copied to sdb5 automatically, when executing the syslinux command. - I just tried without the option -s -> ./syslinux -f /dev/sdb5 -> same message 'Boot error' If you have any ideas what I should change in my setup, feel free to tell it.

I already asked the same question to the SYSLINUX developers.
They told me the following:

----

Last I checked, Grub passed an invalid partition offset in DS:SI when chainloading a logical partition. Syslinux is partition-table-format agnostic, and uses the information passed into it. However, the format of DOS partition tables are such that anything that tries to boot a logical partition (keep in mind that MS-DOS couldn't boot logical partitions at all) has to adjust the partition offset; the stuff that comes off the disk is relative to the extended partition that surrounds the logical partition, but the chainloaded operating system has no way of knowing that.

-----

I'm not very familiar with 'partition offset' or 'DS:SI', but maybe you can have a look at it and it can help us
with my problem.

greenfinch