Re: Is it ok to copy first 446 bytes of MBR between Harddrives of differ

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: Is it ok to copy first 446 bytes of MBR between Harddrives of different sizes?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:39:29 +0200

Jorge Canas escribió:
If the first 446 bytes of the MBR can be reused, even if the harddrives are of
different size, then can someone please throw me a bone and explain why cloning
the MBR as described here does not produce a bootable harddrive?

I think that you are talking about Grub legacy and I do not know if it is currently supported in this mailing list.

Grub legacy uses something called stage1_5 which it is stored between MBR end and the first partition beginning.

As long as you are not copying it the boot fails.
I do not know how to copy stage1_5 but it can be done.

Another workaround is to force grub not to link stage1 to stage1_5 which can be done with install command manually or using the Super Grub Disk's hacked's grub's setup command. But it is not recommended.

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/index.php?pid=10