Re: grub error if first kernel not found.

From: Michael Evans
Subject: Re: grub error if first kernel not found.
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:12:27 -0700

This is something I've never had to work with before, but the SD reader is probably a USB device.  The BIOS will provide an emulation layer for the USB device as the 0th disk if booting from it; however it probably won't provide any support for it at all for it when booted from the hard drive.  Thus grub on the hard drive probably can't even find files on the flash drive.

A way of testing that would be to place a canary file on the flash drive, then trying to find it the next time the hard drive grub loads.  I recall it being escape, c (or even just c) to get the grub shell.  Once you have that you want to run this:

find /canary_file

To see if it's even possible to use a setup like you desire.

An alternative may be to try booting from the flash drive first, then the hard drive, if the bios will hold that configuration.

Another alternative might be to investigate a small pre-boot environment that will operate within an environment that does reccognize external systems.  The problem there is that it'd most probably already be linux, though in 'single user' mode.  From there you'd want to chainload something else, only I don't recall any project that would do that, and nothing showed up on a quick google search.

Another possibility would be creating a freedos floppy image that somehow had USB support, and using it to either somehow chain in to windows (maybe workable?) or loadlin a linux kernel from a loaded filesystem.

However the most likely, and easiest, thing to do would probably be to use the BIOS methods mentioned above.  If it remembers and can boot from the device across insert/removals to have the SD card as a higher priority and boot off it if inserted; or if it can't to have clearly written instructions for the user to press F12 or whatever at a specific time to get a specific result (a list of bootable devices) and select the proper device.