Re: grub2 can't see my linux kernel file

From: j t
Subject: Re: grub2 can't see my linux kernel file
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 18:53:14 +0000

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Jaime.
>
> Try running grub-install with "--disk-module=ata" ( which will bypass
> your BIOS's limitation by having grub use its own ata drivers ). Or
> create a small /boot partition at the beginning of the drive so grub
> doesn't need to read past your BIOS's limit to load the kernel.
>
> --
> Jordan Uggla ( Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net )

Hi Jordan,

I've reinstalled grub2 using ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) which carries grub2
version 1.97~beta4. I installed it using:

grub-install --root-directory=/myMountPoint --disk-module=ata /dev/sda

and it installed perfectly, but the same problem occurs i.e. I can tab
complete into the correct folder, but I cannot see my linux kernel
file.

If the ata module does not use the bios, what does this mean about my
problem? Does it mean that my problem is not related to a bios
limitation on my computer?

Thanks again, Jaime.