move/overwrite a file in Grub2 shell?

From: james edmondson
Subject: move/overwrite a file in Grub2 shell?
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 23:21:22 -0600

I haven't been able to find an answer to this after googling for like 8 hours over the last two nights, so I joined the Ubuntu forum in hope of getting some help.

After thrashing around there, it seems my problem might be better addressed by someone with extensive Grub2 experience. Here is what I originally posted on the Ubuntu forum:
I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a new Gateway laptop day before yesterday and am dual booting between Win7 and Ubuntu.

Everything was fine, install and functional-wise, until I made some changes to my xorg.conf file in hopes of getting Ubuntu to display in 1600x900.

(The changes i made to the xorg.conf file were related to the modeline and mode params. I do have a backup of my original xorg.conf file.)

The problem is now, at boot up when I choose to boot into Ubuntu, I get a dark gray screen with a blinking cursor for a few seconds, then the screen goes black completely, and then the screen returns to the dark gray, empty display (with no cursor the second time). And then it just stays like that.

So, I can get into the Grub2 shell (sh:grub) by typing 'c' in the boot menu, and ls to my /etc/X11/ directory (and cat both my xorg.conf and xorg.conf.bkp files) but what I want to do is overwrite xorg.conf with the backup and hopefully make my blank screen go away.

Is this possible to do in the Grub2 shell? As in, is there some way to overwrite my xorg.conf with the backup?

And is this the right way to solve this problem?

BTW, When I load my install .iso disk, I get the same practical result; I end up at a blank screen.

Thanks for any help.
So my question is essentially, is there anyway to overwrite a file in the Grub2 shell? So far, I haven't been able to find anything in regard to do that.

I am very, very, new to Linux so I may not be describing the situation completely clearly (but do have fairly extensive sw dev experience)...

Thanks for any help!