Re: Is the BIOS Boot Partition required when GRUB is not installed to th

From: Brandon Simmons
Subject: Re: Is the BIOS Boot Partition required when GRUB is not installed to the MBR?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:17:54 -0400

> I'm trying to figure out a rather esoteric problem: I recently
> installed Debian squeeze on a Dell netbook with OSX installed. In the
> Debian installation I specified that GRUB be installed to the Debian
> partition, but (I believe) before that step the installer created a
> bios_grub partition.
>
> FWIW I'm currently booting into OSX using the Chameleon Bootloader.
>
> Well I am trying to run a utility called 'gptsync' and it seems that
> it aborts when it sees the "Unknown" grub_bios partition. So the short
> story is I would like to know if it is safe to destroy this partition.
>
> I have read the documentation here:
>
>    http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition
>
> But am not sure if it applies to an installation of GRUB directly to a
> linux partition.

To answer my own question: no, that partition does not seem to be
necessary when chainloading GRUB from another bootloader. I deleted it
without problems.

And for future internet Archeologists: the problem I ran into with
Chameleon not recognizing my Debian partition was apparently related
to a a bug in parted in which the linux partition was labeled as EFI
in the GPT. I don't even really know what that means.

I fixed it by running the tool GPT Fdisk:

    http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

...under OSX and used the 't' command to change the partition type
code of my Debian partition to code 0700. Then Chameleon recognizes it
and shoots us into GRUB.

There. Just saved someone five hours.