Re: restoring GRUB loading after partition/device rename

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: restoring GRUB loading after partition/device rename
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:20:13 -0700

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Gary S. Trujillo <address@hidden> wrote:

> If I go into edit mode in GRUB with the default kernel selected, I see:
>
> recordfail
> insmod ext2
> set root=(hd0,7)
> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ba5e22b1-d340-44e7-8ebc-7e19f914a659
> linux /vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash

Grub-mkconfig generated a menu entry without an initrd line, despite
the fact that Ubuntu uses and requires an initrd. The most likely
reason for this is that when you copied your kernels from your old
/boot partition you forgot to copy the initrd images as well.  To fix
this follow http://grub.enbug.org/Grub2LiveCdInstallGuide up to step
two, then in the chroot run "apt-get install --reinstall
linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic".

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)