Re: Dedicated partition and configuration.

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Dedicated partition and configuration.
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 19:46:01 -0800

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Prekates Alexandros
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'd like to have the configuration files in my dedicated grub partition
> and being able to use them with tools like update-grub. Because having
> many OSes in my system i'could lose truck about which partition has the
> most recently edited /etc/default/boot or /etc/grub.d/* script.

While your /etc/default/grub can be shared between distributions in
most cases, the scripts in /etc/grub.d/ need to be used with matching
grub utilities. You could share all the grub utilities, /etc/grub.d/,
and /etc/default/grub by installing grub from source and using a
custom prefix only for grub. So for instance if your custom prefix
were /foo, you would edit /foo/etc/default/grub and run
/foo/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig. I doubt that's what you really want,
though I'm still not entirely sure what that is. If you could explain
a specific problem you're currently having that you want to solve that
might help. Another thing to consider is having a hand written
grub.cfg in your dedicated /boot partition which uses "configfile" to
load the grub.cfg files from each of your distributions, which I think
is probably closer to what you want. Then each distribution would
update its own grub.cfg, with only entries for its own kernels (add
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true to /etc/default/grub).

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)