Re: grub2 - chainloader - linux on usb - bios does not see usb.

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: grub2 - chainloader - linux on usb - bios does not see usb.
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 03:27:44 +0800

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 03:05:56 +0800, Pawel Karpowicz <address@hidden> wrote:

Hallo Keszav.
Thank You for the answer.

Try "insmod usbms" (USB Mass Storage module) and "insmod part_msdos"
(Load MBR partition table module).

Unfortunatelly no luck :( `ls' command does not see other drives than hd0,
which is notebooks hard drive.

On a side note, why can't you
install grub2 to the usb directly instead of using a cd to boot the
usb? It is possible.

Actually I did it, ie. boot sector of my usb flash drive contains grub.
Problem is with relativelly old machines that do not support booting from
USB. Such machines usually allow booting from CD.
My idea is to put simple grub2 chainloader that chains CD grub to USB grub.
That's why my concern.

best regards,
Paul

Pawel, you can try any one of the four following grub.cfg to be put into your bootable grub2 cd.

menuentry "Label - Vmlinuz " {
    search --no-floppy --label --set xxx
    linux /vmlinuz root=LABEL=xxx ro
    initrd /initrd.img
}

menuentry "Label - Configfile " {
    search --no-floppy --label --set xxx
    configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
}

menuentry "uuid - Vmlinuz " {
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=xxxxxxxxxxx ro
    initrd /initrd.img
}

menuentry "uuid - Configfile " {
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
}

ps: o that is your /boot is in your '/' partition.

Regards - Goh Lip