cannot find /etc/default/grub to steer grub-mkconfig - #2

From: k2011gen
Subject: cannot find /etc/default/grub to steer grub-mkconfig - #2
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 21:54:41 -0500

After my earlier message pasted below I created a grub file under
/usr/local/etc/default/grub with only this in it

GRUB_TIMEOUT="-1"
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID="true"

I presume perhaps erroneously that the above statement is the way to get kernel
arguments in the form of root=/dev/sdx

The timout had effect in the grub.cfg file next made by grub-mkconfig and I
changed it several times to be sure. The second line however seems to have no
effect, the kernel arguments are still root=UUID...

device.map shows   (hd0) /dev/sda
fstab also deals in terms of /dev/sdx

Come to think of it, maybe a peek at the fstab files would be one way for grub
to sort out which partitions are to be booted with /dev/sdx arguments leaving
UUID for others.

And unless the above defaults file is missing as a result of some mishap on my
installation then the fact that it needs to be created should be documented
together with syntax rules etc.

============================
I installed grub-1.98 from tarball and I can at least do a commanded boot or
point to a usable 'configfile'. This is enough for me so I'm committing to
grub2.

While trying to set some defaults for exercises with the automated menu writing
via grub-mkconfig I find no trace on my system of any /etc/default/grub file
where such defaults would be set (1.98 installed everything under /usr/local).

One thing I'd want to set in that default file or in /boot/grub/grub.cfg is
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true. I edited grub-mkconfig like so

  GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND \
  GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true \
  GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY \

but the file produced is still uuID based (which I can't use due to frequent dd
mirroring).  Do I have to 'create' this default file, where can I find an
example for syntax, and what would th e syntax be for a direct menu file edit?