grub-mkrescue & rescue VS normal mode

From: k2011gen
Subject: grub-mkrescue & rescue VS normal mode
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:21:54 -0500

First my apologies for a few misthreaded posts in the last hours; I've switched
to sylpheed and it has a re-edit which is not the same as edit-as-new :-)
I'm pasting-in below the last of those misthreaded postings.

A suggestion for the manual:

Clarify that grub-mkrescue makes a rescue floppy/CD that boots into full grub
command mode and not into 'rescue mode' (as I had presumed and others might
also presume).

One would normally think of the menu interface as normal-mode and of the
command line interface CLI as the rescue-mode. Maybe this last limited-CLI mode
could be called something other than rescue-mode (bare-bones, dire-straits, or
something).

To follow up on the posting below, the floppy I made with grub-mkrescue does in
fact boot into full command line mode and I have booted a partition using

grub > linux (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz
grub > initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd
grub > boot

as well as using it to hand over to a custom menu file with

configfile (hd0,6)/boot/user/grub.boo)

Another suggestion:

In 'rescue-mode' the set command with no arguments appears to list what has
been set but in a syntax different from what may have been used to set
whatever. This too can be very confusing.

set root=(hd0,1)
set
root=hd0,1

set root=((hd0,1))
set
root=(hd0,1)

see what I mean?

The rescue-mode posted earlier was the result of an incomplete write to the hd
root and me thinking that I was booting a floppy (which I was not).

I made a floppy made with grub-mkrescue.

/usr/local/bin/grub-mkrescue --output="/home/u3/grub2.dd"

dd if=/home/u3/grub2.dd of=/dev/fd0

2456+0 records in
2456+0 records out
1257472 bytes (1.3 MB) copied, 91.3278 s, 13.8 kB/s

The floppy boots into grub rescue and lists commands that are not available.

Then

grub rescue > insmod normal
no such disk

how do I insert the normal module in order to continue either with an itemized
commanded boot or with a configfile command?