Re: loading code at a given memory position

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: loading code at a given memory position
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:49:31 -0700

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Rolando J. Zappacosta
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wondering if it would be possible to use grub to set the a FAT
> partition as the active one, load a file from it into a specific
> memory location and finally launch part of the loaded from a given
> entry point.
>
> The code will then access the FAT filesystem to load some other files it
> needs.
>
> Is this possible? Any hints on how?

Yes this is possible. For the first task you can use the parttool
command, like "parttool (hd0,1) boot+". Though you should understand
that this just sets a flag in the partition table, nothing more. For
the second task I would recommend making the kernel that you are
trying to load multiboot compliant and loading it with the "multiboot"
command: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)