Re: stuck and need help

From: Marco Pinna
Subject: Re: stuck and need help
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 08:05:55 +0200

You are using virtual-box on W7.
so when the Debian installation asks you to write the boot sector,
it refers to the virtual hardware which is currently running on, which of course is not the Real Machine that runs W7.
the virtualization provide virtual hardware to the OS (Debian) which believes it runs on a normal machine.
there are no risks  for your real primary disk as far as it can't be reached nor written by Debian in any case.
so to that question simply answer "yes". it will install grub just on the virtual machine, not on the Real.

If i can, I would suggest you to install Ubuntu, is a debian-based distro and is more user-friendly than debian itself.

Cheers

Marco Pinna