Re: Question on using grub2 in an lv and moving pv's between disks and t

From: David Jablonski
Subject: Re: Question on using grub2 in an lv and moving pv's between disks and then pulling original disk
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:21:39 -0600

On 02/23/2012 05:39 AM, Jordan Uggla wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM, David Jablonski <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 6)  dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512
>
> We highly recommend using grub-install to install grub. Is there
> something preventing you from doing this? Can you reproduce this
> problem when using grub-install to install grub rather than dd?

Sorry Jordan, I replied originally only back to you.  Posting to the
list now also...sorry for you getting a double post.

Nope, no reason other than it seems when I initially do the
grub2-install on /dev/sdb it doesn't work while I'm running the os off
of /dev/sda (original grub2 install).  If I boot the machine from a
rescue cd with the second drive only after I move the pv extents to it
and run grub2-install in a chroot environment then I get the intended
outcome, which is to be able to move the pv extents back and forth
however I would like and boot up with whatever disk I put in the correct
boot order in the machine.

Am I missing something with regards to doing the grub2-install on
/dev/sdb while grub2 is initially installed on /dev/sda.  Basically I
would like to have grub2 installed on both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb so I
can freely move the pv extents between the disks.  Obviously if I try to
boot off the drive that I've moved the pv extents off of it won't boot
but that is what I have to manage.

Thank you for your reply.  Any more suggestions are appreciated and if
I'm missing something simple you can just point me in the right
direction.  Thank you.

--
David W. Jablonski
Systems Administrator