Creating a image with grub.

From: satish kondapalli
Subject: Creating a image with grub.
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:12:16 +0530

Hi,

I am new to GRUB.

I want to do one experiment with my Embedded system:

i want to put GRUB and Kernel with initramfs file system in to the NOR flash.  I want to represent this NOR flash as a bootable hard disk to the UEFI.  I have written on BLOCK_IO_PROTOCOL driver in the UEFI that will represent my NOR flash as Hard disk.

With GRUB one i have done this steps:

1) First I created one 6MB partition on USB disk with FAT file system (/dev/sda1) and I copied all the grub files  and  kernel image in to the partition.
2) I installed the grub on /dev/sda.( grub-install /dev/sda) and able to boot with this USB disk.
3))  Next step, i taken this USB disk and created a image from it ( dd if=/dev/sda of=file.img bs=1MB count=8). This image i am  programming in to my NOR flash and i am able to boot my system From NOR flash.

Question:
1) When i installed my grub on disk I given /dev/sda. we are writing MBR on LBA0.  My partition is starting at LBA16.  so in my NOR flash from LBA1 to LBA15 are unuse. How to avoid this problem? I dont want to waste any of my NOR flash. But i have to represent this NOR flash as Bootable disk. Please give me some pointers to solve this issue.
2) Is there a way to put the parttion table and created Partition in contiguous LBAs? (Beacuse  UEFI  will not execute MBR code.._ )

Thanks
Sateesh