Re: color combinations, validity and what works in Grub 2 ?

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: color combinations, validity and what works in Grub 2 ?
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 21:20:21 -0700

2012/3/21 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:
> Hi all,
> Does anybody know if there is documentation about where the color
> combinations which are valid for grub2 are put up. This is my color
> stuff for grub 2.
>
> $  cat /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh

This file is Debian specific, so I'm just going to give instructions
based on what's in upstream grub and it will probably apply to Debian
as well.

> WALLPAPER=/usr/share/images/grub/Lake_mapourika_NZ.tga

Instead of this Debian specific variable I would use
GRUB_BACKGROUND=/path/to/image in /etc/default/grub, and I recommend
that you use a normal png rather than a tga file for the highest
quality image. This and other variables for grub-mkconfig are
documented here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration
.

> COLOR_NORMAL="light-gray/black"
> COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="white/gray"

These are also Debian specific, and unfortunately (most likely due to
a simple oversight) there are no upstream variables for grub-mkconfig
corresponding to these. Variables for /etc/default/grub for this will
be added in a future version of grub, and will most likely be named
GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL and GRUB_HIGHLIGHT. Until that time, you can set the
variables that grub uses at boot by adding a file
/boot/grub/custom.cfg containing something like this:

color_normal="light-gray/black"
color_highlight="white/light-gray"

Possible values for these variables are documented here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#color_005fnormal

> Now what is wrong here it seems is the gray in the color highlight
> bit. Are there any colors defined for color highlight, maybe some sort
> of limited color pallette or something that we need to choose from or
> something ?
>
> I have no idea why but each time I boot up I get error about grey
> being invalid color or something , pressing Enter on it goes away.

Indeed grey is not a valid color choice, only 'light-gray' or 'dark-gray'.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freendode.net)