Re: ubuntu and text boot with grub2

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: ubuntu and text boot with grub2
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:10:52 -0700

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Greg White <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a working grub2 installation with an inconvenience.  I want a text
> based boot.  I want to see all of the kernel messages scroll by.  I want a
> command prompt and not X.  I edited my /etc/defaults/grub to remove the
> quiet and splash options.  Yes I did the update-grub2.  Still no text.  I
> added text to end of the kernel line and I get is a black screen.  The
> system is responsive to Ctrl-Alt-Delete so I know the system is working
> properly.  I removed text and added nomodeset and the system boots to a
> graphical login.  I gave up on changing the various grub files to fit my
> needs and rerunning update-grub2.

The problem is that [U]EFI doesn't allow for early printing of kernel
messages because there is no simple text console in UEFI once you've
exited boot services, so you won't see any output from the kernel
until a graphical framebuffer has been created. Kernel Mode Setting
will probably help get such a framebuffer running early, but you are
disabling KMS by adding the nomodeset parameter. There isn't much that
grub can do to improve this, so you really need to ask how to get a
framebuffer for printing kernel messages up sooner in your
Distribution's or other GNU/Linux support channels. A simple option
though would be to boot via BIOS rather than [U]EFI.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)