Wrong root device when using update-grub inside chroot (building VM imag

From: proper
Subject: Wrong root device when using update-grub inside chroot (building VM images)
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 16:51:23 +0200

Hello,

I am using chroot and want to create a virtual machine image. Everything works
so far, but grub. I can't use grub-install, that would install on the real hdd.
When I install a kernel, grub.cfg gets messed up due to update-grub. The root
device is wrong. I'd need something like update-grub with device map as
parameter.

"set root='(hd0,msdos1)'" (correct) gets converted to "set
root='(/dev/nbd0p1)'" (wrong, it's only a device to mount the hdd image).

"insmod part_msdos" (correct) gets lost (wrong).

Is there something like update-grub where I can set those values manually?

Cheers,
proper