Re: GRUB2 (packaged with Ubuntu 12.10) won't boot OS X

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: GRUB2 (packaged with Ubuntu 12.10) won't boot OS X
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 15:10:49 +0100

On Nov 7, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Alex Kanavin <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Nope - same error.
>>
>> From the linux installation have you tried running grub-mkconfig -o
>> /boot/grub/grub.cfg to make sure the built-in grub scripts have had a chance
>> to locate OS X and create the proper entry? I've had this work for me, at
>> least from CSM-BIOS booting a > Mac. I haven't tried it with EFI booting a
>> Mac yet (primarily because Fedora 18 is just now getting to GRUB 2 EFI plus
>> mactel-boot support)…
>
> Yes - this is done by Ubuntu itself. Those entries made with stock
> grub scripts result in OS X kernel panics - read my original message,
> it has links to screenshots.

Of course it could be a bug *shrug*. But are you booting the Mac CSM-BIOS mode?
Or EFI mode? I've only tested it in CSM-BIOS mode and it did work on model
MacbookPro 4,1 (2008).

I haven't tested it EFI mode. Only very recent versions of GRUB 2 full have all
the Red Hat produced EFI patches from GRUB Legacy rolled into it (by very
recent I mean just in the last few months - and I'm not sure if even Ubuntu
12.10 has these) so I'd consider anything non-recent to be unreliable for Mac
EFI booting.

Chris Murphy