Re: Installing grub2 with /boot on software raid

From: Wesley PA4WDH
Subject: Re: Installing grub2 with /boot on software raid
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 12:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jordan,

--- On Tue, 7/2/13, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the future please include all relevant information in
> your email
> directly; It makes replying inline easier and I'm personally
> often in
> areas where my internet connection is unreliable and using a
> browser
> is much more difficult than reading email.

Ok, i'm sorry. I did consider both options, and because there was a lot of text
i thought a link would be the best option.

pc12 grub2 # grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
/dev/md0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

> -----%<----- explanation of the use of device.map
Thanks for explaining, that really makes it more clear why i was doing things
that didn't work out.

> This is clearly not your use case, your array will need to
> be
> assembled by grub at boot, so you should not be creating a
> device.map
> and it is expected that grub will fail to boot with such a
> configuration. Please correct any incorrect Gentoo
> documentation if
> possible.

That was actually not in the gentoo docs but i found it on a few websites.
I'll double-check that.

> As to the problems you're having without the invalid
> device.map
> entries, I'm not sure what the problem there is but I've
> never tried
> to install grub to a "RAID1 array" with only one disk, so
> that may be
> the problem. If you can, try to create a normal RAID1 array
> with two
> devices (even two partitions on the same drive as a test).

Ok, of tried two things:
First i removed the md entry's from the device.map and tried to install:

pc12 / # grub2-install /dev/sda
*** glibc detected *** /usr/sbin/grub2-probe: double free or corruption
(fasttop): 0x00007f78e019c0b0 ***
After that a stacktrace (which i didn't include since my system doesn't have
debugging symbols, if you think it's usable anyway i can send it).
This actually repeats three times.

Then i added an additional partition to my raid1 array, and waited for it to
sync.
After that the behaviour was almost similar, but with a different error message
at the end:
Path `/boot/grub2' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is impossible.
Aborting.

Actually, the "double free corrution"s are new, it didn't do that yesterday so
i'll check that out.

Best regards,
Wesley