Why the "--skip-fs-probe" option does not prevent file system check duri

From: Wang Weber
Subject: Why the "--skip-fs-probe" option does not prevent file system check during installation?
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:09:18 +0800

Hi,

I failed to install grub-1.99 on a hard disk and I found the reason is because GRUB thought that there was a ext2 filesystem installed on that disk due to garbage data. The error messages are listed below.

# grub-setup --directory=/mnt/root/mnt2/boot/grub /dev/sdc
grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels or both partition label and filesystem.  This is not supported yet..
grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I also tried the following command and used gdb to confirm this.

bash-3.00# grub-probe -t fs -d /dev/sdc
ext2

Then I checked the grub-setup help doc and saw that there is a "--skip-fs-probe" option. The description for this option is below.

  -s, --skip-fs-probe        Do not probe for filesystems in DEVICE

I tried this option but it still promoted the same error messages. Finally I checked the source code, it seems that this operation is not doing what I am expecting. It does not prevent GRUB from detecting the filesystem and GRUB refuses to do installation if some garbage data was found.

Is this behavior correct? What's the workaround if I want GRUB to do the installation without checking the existence of filesystem?

Thanks,
Weber