Re: Re: Fwd: On a Samsung ARM Chromebook, could nv-uboot easily boot to

From: Held Bier
Subject: Re: Re: Fwd: On a Samsung ARM Chromebook, could nv-uboot easily boot to stock linux kernels, by way of ARM-GRUB?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:03:07 +0400

Ian,

2014/1/10 Ian Campbell <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 10:57 +0400, Held Bier wrote:
>> Marcin,
>>
>> > But you get working virtualisation with proper U-Boot.
>>
>> Yes, it's a must for KVM, but Xen for Chromebook still has a secure
>> mode escape hack in it's tree, and hence, can be booted from stock
>> U-boot.
>
> This escape hack was removed from Xen mainline months ago -- are you
> using some old version?

Yes, it was. But i meant an old people/aperard/xen-arm -b
chromebook-2013-03-22 which "Xen ARM with Virtualization
Extensions/Chromebook" page at Xen's wiki refers on.

> I would strongly recommend that if you want to try to get Xen onto a
> Chromebook that you use the latest Xen mainline along with a suitably
> virtualisation enabled U-boot. There have been numerous improvements to
> the platform support and hardware compatibility side of things since
> that hack existed.

Indeed, there is a progress going on ARM platform support in general,
but Chromebook isn't an official Xen port, right?
>From Stefano
>[http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-arm/2013-09/msg00001.html]:
"we didn't make any more progress on the Chromebook port so the page
above
[http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Chromebook]
is the most recent information we have on it."
And this page points to aperard's repos for both xen and kernel, so
either wiki's page isn't updated, or the work on Chromebook hadn't
been merged into Xen mainline.