Re: Booting from NVMe controller enters GRUB rescue

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Booting from NVMe controller enters GRUB rescue
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:20:26 +0400

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM, vinayak holikatti
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:53 PM, vinayak holikatti
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> We have developed Legacy OptionROM for NVMe controller device. We are
>>> able to boot to all Windows 7 and later OS. But we are facing issue in
>>> booting Fedora 20 x86_64 OS. Fedora 20 gets installed successfully on
>>> NVMe device. While booting from NVMe device we are observing error as
>>> follows and enters grub rescue. We are clueless about what is
>>> happening here. We would like to know how to over come this issue and
>>> boot to Fedora 20 OS from our controller.
>>>
>>> "error : no such device: 44d1bf09-4e8a-4f46-aea6-09e364abf5cb.
>>>  Entering rescue mode...
>>>  grub_rescue>"
>>
>> Please run "ls" at the rescue prompt and post the output.
>
> The ls command at grub_rescue shows as below
>
> grub_rescue>ls
> (hd0)
>
> And set command output as below
>
> grub_rescue>set
> prefix = (hd0)/grub2
> root = hd0
>
> I think the information of prefix and root are wrongly set. It should be
>
> prefix = (hd0,1)/grub2
> root = (hd0,2)
>
> /boot partition corresponds to /dev/nvme0n1p1
> / paration corresponds to /dev/nvme0n1p2

Which grub version do you use? Could you test current GIT master? If
it still puts prefix wrong, please
show output of "grub-install --verbose /dev/path-to-boot-block"
(/dev/nvme0n1 or /dev/nvme0n1p1 or wherever).

I would not be surprised if grub is confused by non-standard disk
naming, but there were many changes recently so it may be fixed
already.