Re: Managing multi grub installs

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Managing multi grub installs
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:23:18 -0700

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Rustom Mody <address@hidden> wrote:
>> menuentry "Debian bootloader" {
>>   search --set --label Debian500G
>>   multiboot /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
>> }
>
> Tried this. I get:
>
> Welcome to Grub (in inverse video)
> error file not found
> Entering rescue mode
> grub rescue>
>
> How I tried:
>
> At the grub prompt I gave the following
> multiboot (hd0,5)/boot/grub/core.img

Note that "root=(something,else); multiboot
(hd0,5)/boot/grub/core.img" is *not* functionally equivalent to
"root=(hd0,5); multiboot (hd0,5)/boot/grub/core.img". The multiboot
loader actually uses the value of $root and passes that information
along to the kernel its loading, in the case of loading grub it's used
to find the correct device value for $prefix.

Try actually using "search --set=root --fs-uuid=UUID_HERE; multiboot
/boot/grub/core.img".

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)