Re: Low-level documentation

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Low-level documentation
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 21:01:02 +0400

В Sat, 12 Apr 2014 05:28:04 +0200 (CEST)
Fredrik Tolf <address@hidden> пишет:

> Dear list,
>
> Grub 1 is obviously long dead by now, but one thing I always liked about
> it was how transparent much of its low-level workings was. It made it easy
> to make it work on systems that were broken in strange ways or where I had
> to work under weird circumstances.
>
> Grub 2, on the other hand, seems to try to go the "user-friendly" way,
> with `grub-install' wanting to do all the work for me. This is fine, I
> guess, so long as the circumstances aren't too strange for it to work.

Could you describe your configuration where grub-install fails?

> What bothers me particularly is the actual installation step itself.
> Building a core image and all seems documented enough, but the
> `grub-bios-setup' utility isn't even so much as mentioned in the Texinfo
> manual, and even less so what it actually does, in detail. Is there any
> available information on this anywhere?

grub-bios-setup mostly corresponds to "install" command of grub legacy.
It tries to embed core.img into either post-MBR gap or reserved area on
partition if filesystem is known to have one. It the worst case it
gives you a rope to use file on filesystem directly. In all cases it
installs boot block (MBR or PBR) which points to the installed
core.img. That's all.