Re: GRUB2 & LVM

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: GRUB2 & LVM
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 20:37:14 +0300

В Thu, 28 May 2015 17:14:40 +0300
Alexander Rumyantsev <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hello everybody!
>
> Two days surfing the net to find out is there any way to install GRUB
> directly on physical volume (PV) without any luck.

Currently it is not supported. A while back patch was suggested but
rejected by primary maintainer. You could try to search grub-devel
archives for a patch.

> PV does not use first sector and can preserve some space for bootloader.

Yes, patch made use of reserved space if available.

> Grub2 supports /boot on LVM.
> Here i stuck.

Setup partition as PV and install grub in MBR. Having partitioned disk
is preferable for multiple reasons.