Choosing grub2 video modes

From: Alex Regan
Subject: Choosing grub2 video modes
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 16:10:01 -0400

Hi,

I'm confused about how to control the text video mode from grub. I've seen references to GRUB_GFXMODE and gfxmode, but I don't understand how it's set.

I've tried setting it using "set gfxmode=640x480" in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and other variations, but they seem to be ignored.

I've tried setting GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 in /etc/default/grub then recreating grub.cfg, but that also doesn't appear to work.

I'd appreciate it if someone could share some examples of how to do it on current versions of fedora.

I've also tried using 'vbeinfo' while inside grub, but those numbers (0x114, for example) don't seem to have any effect either.

How can I tell what resolution the console is currently set to?

Thanks,
Alex