Re: Choosing grub2 video modes

From: Alex Regan
Subject: Re: Choosing grub2 video modes
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 15:29:09 -0400

Hi,

I'm confused about how to control the text video mode from grub. I've seen
references to GRUB_GFXMODE and gfxmode, but I don't understand how it's set.

I assume that by "text video mode" you mean the mode used by linux for
text ttys. Since the advent of kernel mode setting, the video mode
passed by the bootloader is essentially meaningless; The kernel will
(by default) always try to configure the native resolution for your
display, and as it has access to full native graphics drivers (rather
than just VESA) it usually succeeds.

Yes, at some point previously, I tried to explain I was referring to the physical tty console text mode. I'm sorry that wasn't more clear.

At one point I was able to use vga= to set the mode, but when that stopped working, I was looking for the new method.

I thought it was strange that the kernel command-line wasn't being modified during this whole discussion.

I've now tried video= and it works as expected.

> GRUB_GFXMODE and gfxmode control the mode used by *grub* for its menu.
> Is the resolution of your grub menu really not matching what you
> entered for GRUB_GFXMODE?

Lol, I don't really care about how grub looks :-)

Thanks everyone for your efforts, and explanation about how the boot mode has changed with KMS. Learned a lot during the process.

Thanks,
Alex