Re: can't get a correct resolution[halt-solved]

From: François Patte
Subject: Re: can't get a correct resolution[halt-solved]
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:10:19 +0200

Le 02/07/2015 05:16, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :
> В Wed, 01 Jul 2015 23:41:58 +0200 François Patte

>>> Out of curiosity - what if you boot with nomodeset parameter
>>> additionally? This should disable KMS completely.
>
>> No change....
>
>> I use nvidia driver, is this the source of the problem? If yes,
>> how to solve it? When I boot the debian (which also use the
>> nvidia driver) the resolution is correct...
>

> Sorry, no idea. But I do not see how GRUB can do anything here.
> After kernel is loaded it is up to kernel to set resolution. Did
> you try asking on Fedora forums?

I did, but no answer was given except to contact help-grub list....

I found a culprit: the command linux16 in the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. If
I change this command to linux, I can get the correct resolution
during the boot.

3 questions arise:

1- The first line of the boot message begins by "failed" in red color,
but I cannot see what has failed because the display is too fast and I
cannot stop it using the pause keys of the keyboard... How to slow
down the messages? (my system is on SSD, so the boot takes less than
10s).

2- Changing linux16 to Linux seems to not affect the boot. Am I right?

3- How to get this change (linux16 to linux) resists to updates?

Thank you.

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique