RE: Create legacy bios/uefi dual boot usb stick

From: John Frankish
Subject: RE: Create legacy bios/uefi dual boot usb stick
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 16:09:18 +0400

> > I've been trying, without success, to create a legacy bios/uefi dual
> > boot usb stick.
> >
> > If I partition the usb stick using gdisk, like this:
> >

> > $ sudo gdisk /dev/sdc
> > Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
> >    1            2048         2097152   1023.0 MiB  EF00  EFI System
> >    2         2099200         2103295   2.0 MiB     EF02  BIOS boot partition
> >    3         2103296        61013982   28.1 GiB    8300  Linux filesystem
> >
> > If I then try:
> >
> > $ sudo x86_64-grub-install --target=i386-pc
> > --boot-directory=/mnt/sdc3/boot /dev/sdc
> >

> That's correct; but why do you use different boot directory?
> The whole point of using multiboot medium is to have *single* /boot grub
> (and whatever configuration, themes etc are there) that is used by every
> platform.

Good point - I'll do that :)

> > ..there is no error message, uefi boot works fine, but legacy bios
> > boot fails with an "invalid partition table" error
> >
> Where this error comes from? I do not see this string in GRUB sources
> and it really does not care; it would stop in rescue mode then

I guess the error message comes from the machine's bios - the legacy boot
doesn't get as far as starting grub.

> Recently someone reported problem with booting rescue image on legacy BIOS
>  - it would refuse to consider medium bootable unless medium has
> *msdos* partition table with active partition. This sounds like it could be
> the reason.

I'm not sure I understand - I thought the "EF02 BIOS boot partition" achieved
this aim?

If not, what would the gpt partition table above look like including an *msdos*
partition table with active partition?