GRUB2 with themes - boot terminal/console is black/blank before plymouth

From: Vishal Rao
Subject: GRUB2 with themes - boot terminal/console is black/blank before plymouth splash shows
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 12:03:46 +0530

Hello,

I'm running various Ubuntu 16.04 "flavours" (KDE Neon, elementaryOS Loki, Kubuntu etc) and if I install a GRUB theme (like KDE Breeze GRUB theme, or few others) then after selecting the OS to boot (I dual boot with Win10) the GRUB graphical console/terminal box pops up but is all-black (blank) with no "Loading linux..." etc output. I have "quiet splash" set in /etc/default/grub FYI and am running a Intel Skylake Core i5-6500 CPU with on-CPU graphics (no discrete GPU card). The generated /boot/grub/grub.cfg does seem to have a couple of echo statements in there.

The kernel is a 4.4.x stable series version and the GRUB2 version is the 2.02 beta2 I believe.

My question is, is there a way to prevent the console from showing before the Plymouth splash shows up, or at least, if the console must show, then how to display the echo-ed text output in it?

Please CC me in any replies as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Cheers!

--
​​

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine.