Re: Added SATA drive, now it won't boot

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: Added SATA drive, now it won't boot
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 10:05:21 -0500

Tracy Reed <address@hidden> writes:
> I didn't realize one could do this. What language is grub running here?
> Is this bash or something else? Just how much programming can be done in
> grub.conf? Not that one should ever do anything complicated in a grub
> config.

grub.cgf is written in its own language, and modules that are added to
(or available from, I'm not sure) can define additional commands.  I
don't know if there's any proper overview description of the Grub
language itself, but section 15.2 of the Grub manual is "The list of
command-line and menu entry commands".

As far as I can tell, the language is procedural, which probably isn't
how I would have designed it.  But that's another matter.

Dale