Re: `grub-install` failed on a partitionless fully luks encrypted 4TB HD

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: `grub-install` failed on a partitionless fully luks encrypted 4TB HDD
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 13:59:43 +0300

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Hamid Nassiby <address@hidden> wrote:
> As the subject says and I've mentioned in my first post, this disk is
> partitionless. Anyway, there are people who successfully installed grub on
> partitionless disks. For example please take a look at the following links:
>
> grub on partitionless full disk LVM:
>
> http://www.mailbrowse.com/gnu-help-grub/comments-758.html

Requires relatively modern LVM2 to reserve space for bootloader in PV,
but yes, this is possible and may be supported.

> Grub on a whole ext4 partitionlesss disk:
>
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5162/how-to-install-grub-to-a-whole-ext4-disk-without-partition-table
>
> Install grub on a partitionless disk (Arch wiki):
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Install_to_partition_or_partitionless_disk

Both embed in filesystem that reserves the first block for jump boot sector.

> grub on a partitionless btrfs disk:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Btrfs#Partitionless_Btrfs_disk

Come on, really, btrfs explicitly reserves space for bootloader use.

> Therefore lack of a partition table by itself could not be the root of
> problem, but not having enough space for grub installation!

Where did I say something different?

> So before
> solving the problem by eliminating the problem scenario, and regarding the
> successful similar experiences mentioned above,

I do not see "LUKS" or "encrypted" anywhere above.

> I would like to get assured
> about the required space for grub installation at the disk beginning, before
> luks header.

LUKS header starts at the beginning of container, there is no space
"before" LUKS header.