Re: Grub2 UEFI boot and serial console output

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub2 UEFI boot and serial console output
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:16:18 +0300

11.01.2017 19:55, Matwey V. Kornilov пишет:
>> 11.01.2017 16:27, Matwey V. Kornilov пишет:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What is the proper way to output GRUB2 menu to serial rs232 console when
>>> UEFI boot is used? I've copy-pasted GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --unit=0
>>> --speed=115200" from Google because I didn't find anything else. It
>>> doesn't work.
>>> Now, reading grub sources, I see that the proper way should probably be
>>> something like GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial efi0".
>>>

>> This is platform dependent. --unit=0 refers to COM1 on PC BIOS platform.
>> On EFI grub is using EFI Serial I/O Protocol and enumerates all handles
>> with this protocol using efiXX names. Then there is USB serial driver,
>> ARC and IEEE1275 where names are provided by firmware etc.
>
> I just can't understand, term/serial.c: grub_cmd_serial() sets name to
> "com%ld" using --unit=value on any platform.
>
>   if (state[OPTION_UNIT].set)
>     {
>       grub_snprintf (pname, sizeof (pname), "com%ld",
>                      grub_strtoul (state[0].arg, 0, 0));
>       name = pname;
>    }
>
> Then this "com0" is put to grub_serial_find(name) call. The question
> is how this is going to match with "efi0"?

It is not.

> Please correct me, if I am wrong.

Again - "--unit=0" is simply alias for "com0". Whether device with name
"com0" actually exists depends on platform and loaded drivers.

This alias makes no sense on platform that does not include ns8250
driver that provides access to device with name "com0". You can check
grub-core/Makefile.core.def which platforms include this driver.

So on EFI you are not going to use --unit=0 (or you need to add some
platform-dependent magic to translate --unit=0 into platform device).

And yes, this could use better documentation, both for "serial" command
and "Serial terminal" section.