Re: Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Force location of GRUB's boot and core images ?
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 11:52:36 +0300

09.04.2017 11:14, Pascal Hambourg пишет:
> Hello,
>
> In some cases I would need to force installation of GRUB's boot and core
> images into a specific location on the drive instead of letting
> grub-install decide automatically.
>
> For example :
> - install the boot image in the first sector of an unformatted partition
> - install the core image in the second and next sectors of that partition.
>
> Is this possible through any undocumented options or internal commands ?

No. The most straightforward workaround is to create loop device on top
of partition and create partition table inside with at least one
partition and suitable post-MBR gap. Then you will be able to install on
/dev/loopX. You may zap partition table afterwards to avoid confusion.

Technical reason is that writing (or at least computing actual on-disk
location) of core.img is performed by either partlabel-specific or
filesystem-specific code, so if you have neither then there is no code
to do it.