Re: GRUB only offers a rescue shell

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: GRUB only offers a rescue shell
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:15:49 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden> wrote:

>> That is because grub-install detected that /boot/grub/ was on a "disk"
>> with no partition table, and thus didn't include the part_msdos module
>> in the core.img. Again, the solution to that problem is described
>> above.
>

> Or one could force grub-install to include the part_msdos module in the core
> image with the --modules=part_msdos option.

One could, and it would work, but basically only by chance due to how
cross disk installs are supported in grub. grub-install would still
see it as a cross disk install, and would still set it up as such.
Because cross disk installs use an embedded config that searches by
UUID, and that search happens to still search partitions even when
grub-install "knew" that $prefix was not to be found on a partition,
$prefix would be configured properly but it's an ugly work around that
could break if grub's implementation changes. I am firmly of the
opinion that the --modules option should never be used, as it is
almost exclusively misused and it is easy to break things when using
it.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)