Re: In jessie(debian) I installed kernel 4.9 and I removed kernel 3.16 b

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: In jessie(debian) I installed kernel 4.9 and I removed kernel 3.16 but grub always boot on 3.16
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 00:08:24 +0100

Le 10/11/2017 à 20:19, Gérard ROBIN a écrit :
Hello,
jessie was installed on my old box Assus A7N8X with the kernel
linux-image-3.16.0-4-686-pae. I installed the kernel
linux-image-4.9.0-4-686-pae and when I booted the box, grub did not display
the kernel 4.9 it only showed kernel 3.16. I hit the c key and the
command exit and after that I saw the kernel 4.9 and I booted the box
successfully with the kernel 4.9. I ran again update-grub but it was always
the same thing at startup. Finally I removed the kernel 3.16 and then I did
update-grub. And surprise! grub always displays kernel 3.16 and not kernel
4.9, but fortunately "c and exit" work.

I put the result of bootinfoscript in attached document.

There are to hard drives in this machine : sda and sdb
grub on sda, kernel 4.9 and stretch (now)
jessie on sdb, kernel 3.16

Can anyone help me make grub work properly ?

Another GRUB is installed by jessie on sdb, and it seems that it is the one which is loaded first by the BIOS. When you exit from it and return to the BIOS, the BIOS then loads the other GRUB from sda.

Just setup the BIOS to boot from sda first.