GRUB hangs for a long while in "Loading stage2...." phase while loading

From: Ariel Burbaickij
Subject: GRUB hangs for a long while in "Loading stage2...." phase while loading Solaris on x86
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 09:14:27 +0100

Hello list,

following situation: we have Solaris as locally installed (on the attached
RAIDed 1 discs)  operating system and we recently experienced that after
necessary hard reset GRUB hangs for a very long while (approx. >15 minutes)
with the only output: "Loading stage2.....". but eventually boots fine.

Questions:
1) Is it somehow possible to see what exactly happens in this phase
(explicit setting for verbose logging, key combination increasing log level
from command line, something else)?
2) as we have hardware RAID controller (LSI MegaRAID) -- can we reasonably
assume that GRUB only kicks in after the system received "the green light"
from RAID controller that everything is fine with the disks from its
viewpoint or can it, indeed, so happen that GRUB and RAID controller run
concurrently and both try to do something to the discs?

With Best Regards
Ariel Burbaickij