After an upgrade, grub2 can't find commands

From: Jimmie Mayfield
Subject: After an upgrade, grub2 can't find commands
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 19:17:50 -0400

I upgraded my OpenSuSE 42.3 machine to OpenSuSE 15.0 today and it's resulted in a broken grub that's exhibiting behavior that I don't understand.  I'm trying to recover.

What happens is this:

Following a reboot, grub displays the boot menu like normal.  If I press <enter> to select the default entry (or let it time-out and auto-select), I see a brief message about loading initrd and then suddenly I go back to the grub menu.  This time, if I press <enter> on any entry, I get errors like "error: can't find command insmod" or "error: can't find command linux" or "error: can't find command echo".  These errors appear to correspond to the commands in the default menuentry stanza.

If after a reboot I instead cursor to any other menu item (eg. don't just press <enter>), I'm immediately greeted by these "error: can't find command xxxxxx" errors.

If I enter a grub command line, and press <tab>, I see that the only available commands are:  ".", "[", "acpi", "all_functional_test", "authenticate", "background_color", and "backtrace".  Nothing else.  With only these commands to work with, I don't think there's much that I can do from the command line to boot my kernel.

I've tried re-running grub-install from a rescue image to no avail.  The behavior remains.

Any clues what might cause grub to behave like this and how to recover?