Re: grub2 - add NVME to boot from - how?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: grub2 - add NVME to boot from - how?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 20:38:02 +0200

Hello,

Le 16/08/2018 à 11:42, lejeczek a écrit :

How to add NVME to grub? And what mean by "add" is: that you already have grub2 booting off whatever you have it on, then you add another device, nvme in this case, and you add it to grub2 as/with chainloader, so as a result grub will have yet another entry to chainload to another(windows) boot on that nvme.

This is I guess that classic case where BIOS/EFI have no support for NVME and I imagine, I hope, grub can be the savior here!

Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK GRUB does not have native support for NVME devices and relies on the system firmware to access them. So if the system firmware has no support for NVME either, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

If the motherboard has an M.2 slot, it is unlikely that the firmware does not have support for NVME. Note however that some UEFI firmwares may support NVME only with EFI boot, not with BIOS/legacy boot.