Re: What does it mean when GRUB fails to find a kernel symbol?

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: What does it mean when GRUB fails to find a kernel symbol?
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 17:24:41 +0200

Hello,

Le 08/09/2023 à 11:33, Saj Goonatilleke a écrit :

One of our machines presented the following error after a reboot.
I expect this was due to a misconfiguration -- not a bug in GRUB.

Sort of. It can happen after an upgrade when the new core image is not written to the location GRUB is booted from, so an older core image is loaded.

     error: symbol `grub_disk_native_sectors' not found.
(...)
usually because the core image is assumed to have diverged from the set
of dynamically loadable modules.

Yes, it usually happens because an older core image tries to load a newer module.

why would the problem manifest with this specific error message?

Because the old core image lacks a symbol required by the new module.