help-gsasl

Re: Bug: RFC2831 noncompliance - "charset=utf-8" in challenge REQUIRES "

From: Pawel Widera
Subject: Re: Bug: RFC2831 noncompliance - "charset=utf-8" in challenge REQUIRES "charset=utf-8" in response
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:48:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Simon Josefsson wrote:

I'm trying to understand whether changing the code to do the
transformation on username and realm may cause problems for you if you
have actual users with latin-1 username/realms.  I suspect your problem
was merely that gsasl aborted the authentication, not that latin-1
passwords were handled incorrectly.  Could you test a patch if I make
one?

AFAIU correctly, this is a separate issue. The previous case was about ASCII response and this one applies only if client response is UTF-8:

The "username-value", "realm-value" and "passwd" are encoded
according to the value of the "charset" directive. If "charset=UTF-8"
is present, and all the characters of either "username-value" or
passwd" are in the ISO 8859-1 character set, then it must be
converted to ISO 8859-1 before being hashed.

So, as I believe this two will have separate path in the code, there should be no interference here. I can do some tests but only locally.