help-gsasl

Re: GNU SASL test failures

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: GNU SASL test failures
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:26:53 +0200

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hi Simon!
>>
>> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> It fails everywhere else too (that host went away a long time ago) --
>>> but maybe the build environment fails DNS lookups in some different way?
>>
>> All DNS lookups fail, basically because there’s no resolv.conf in the
>> build chroot.  It’s also a design choice: Nix strives to maximize
>> reproducibility, which implies that build systems are expected to be
>> self-contained and deterministic.
>>
>> Note that ‘localhost’ won’t resolve either, so you’d have to use
>> 127.0.0.1.
>
> Ok -- there shouldn't be any socket stuff going on there, the self-test
> should be all in memory, so I'm not sure what is happening.  I'll debug
> it further when I find some time...

I cannot reproduce this -- how did you identify that a DNS lookup
happened?  Straceing the binary doesn't reveal any lookups when I do:

strace -s200 -f make check TESTS=gs2-krb5 2>&1 |grep -e '[^0-9a-f]53[^0-9a-f]'
-e josefsson

So I'm not sure the problem actually is a DNS lookup, it could be
something else.  I have tried removing /etc/shishi, ~/.shishi and
/etc/resolv.conf, without any difference.

It would be great to see this resolved, to make the build robot start to
produce real builds.

Thanks,
/Simon