help-gsasl

interop SMTP server for GNU SASL

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: interop SMTP server for GNU SASL
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:43:31 +0200

Hi!

I have setup a SMTP server at "interop.josefsson.org" port 2000 that
supports the following mechanisms:

 LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 SCRAM-SHA-1 OPENID20

Some other mechanisms are advertised as well, but for various reasons
you will not be able to successfully authenticate using them.

The only valid password is "sesam".  Any username and authorization
identities will work.  There is no STARTTLS support.

The code for the SMTP server is a new example tool shipped with GNU
SASL, the basic version is here:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gsasl.git/tree/examples/smtp-server.c

The version that is running on interop.josefsson.org is an OpenID
enabled variant, the code is here:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gsasl.git/tree/examples/openid20

Sorry Phil, it is not running Exim yet. :-)

To talk to the server you can use the "gsasl" command line tool.  See
example output for SCRAM-SHA-1 below.

The reason for setting this up was to test OPENID20 but I'll post about
that separately...

/Simon

address@hidden:~$ LANG=C ~/src/gsasl/src/gsasl --smtp -m SCRAM-SHA-1
interop.josefsson.org 2000
Trying 'interop.josefsson.org'...
220 localhost ESMTP GNU SASL smtp-server
EHLO [127.0.0.1]
250-localhost
250 AUTH ANONYMOUS EXTERNAL LOGIN PLAIN SECURID DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 SCRAM-SHA-1
SAML20 OPENID20
EHLO [127.0.0.1]
250-localhost
250 AUTH ANONYMOUS EXTERNAL LOGIN PLAIN SECURID DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 SCRAM-SHA-1
SAML20 OPENID20
AUTH SCRAM-SHA-1
334
Using system username `jas' as authentication identity.
biwsbj1qYXMscj1GK21JNmljSWZ5VERhMmo4WHdwSHBKYVI=
334
cj1GK21JNmljSWZ5VERhMmo4WHdwSHBKYVI2S3BndWxaQ3BFa3g2a1I2akYscz1LOXIzUXZkV21wNWhDcUdqLGk9NDA5Ng==
Enter password:
Yz1iaXdzLHI9RittSTZpY0lmeVREYTJqOFh3cEhwSmFSNktwZ3VsWkNwRWt4NmtSNmpGLHA9ZjRvbVp3MWRTc0xlYTZvVlVZcVF3bjZHV0pVPQ==
334 dj1DM1ZSNmxpU2I4U1RlOW1NeDV3VGpUUTV2aTQ9

235 OK [authid: jas authzid: N/A]
Client authentication finished (server trusted)...
Enter application data (EOF to finish):
quit
221 localhost QUIT
Session finished...