help-gsl

[Help-gsl] Re: Seg faults and altered parameters using vector views

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: Seg faults and altered parameters using vector views
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:30:12 -0600

Brian Gough wrote:
Hello,

For memory problems I'd recommend the testing the code with the
'valgrind' memory checker. e.g.

  $ valgrind --tool=memcheck a.out

It should help in tracking down any errors.

Hi Brian:

That's a good suggestion if you are lucky enough to have one of the platforms that valgrind supports. For those of us who are not,
and that is most likely a quite considerable number, I've been following
one of your other suggestions:  use GCC with the bounds checking; see
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/articles/boundschecking.html

But, I'll bet that valgrind does alot more than bounds checking, right?
So, I'm guessing your suggestion is to use valgrind whenever possible.
Does anyone know of a Solaris:SPARC variant of valgrind or some other
cross-platform tool that has similar functionality?

Thanks,

Rodney