help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] Linking error

From: marco cammarata
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linking error
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:04:19 -0800

Hi,

The .a and .so are quite different files;
.a are for static linking (i.e. at compile time)
.so are for dynamic linking (i.e. at running time)

I don't see why you had to do that, you can use the .a files ?
In other words I cannot understand the sentence "the extension of the .a
files to .so files since the Linux system needs .so files"

I never used Visual studio but on unix/linux you can even mix .so and .a
files while compiling. Btw on my platform (ubuntu) I got the two
versions ...
Maybe you should switch to a more programmer friendly linux rather then
using windows :)

I hope it helps,
marco