help-gsl

Re: [Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type

From: Jean-François Caron
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:11:39 -0700

Oh my god, I just noticed that I was trying to use version 1.6 all along, not
1.16!  I finally noticed when I tried using the same grep commands as Dave
Allured to summarize the tests, but zero lines from my test log were matching,
so I looked more closely.  1.6 doesn’t have DARWIN86 as one of the ieee-utils
options, hence why stuff wasn’t working.

Not to excuse my lack of attention/stupidity, but on the main GSL page it says
in text that the current version is 1.16, but the download link goes to a plain
index page that includes tons of versions - including future versions that are
probably not expected to work.  Is it possible to add a single link to the
current version on the main page, or in the FTP listing, have a duplicate entry
for 1.16 which is explicitly called CURRENT or something?

When I use 1.16 everything works out of the box.  Sorry for the noise.  (1.6
did work out of the box on an Ubuntu 12 machine that I tried).

My original problem was that I wanted to add an interpolation type to GSL.
Specifically I want monotonic cubic-splines following the description in
Steffen (1990): http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1990A%26A...239..443S

I have successfully written a steffen.c file, modelled after akima.c.  It
compiles and seems to do the interpolation correctly with my basic
(non-automated) tests.  I am wondering now what are the steps to trying to get
my enhancement included in gsl itself?  Things like code review, style
checking, etc.  I’ve never contributed actual code to an open-source project
before, so I might need some hand-holding.  Should I start a new thread about
this?

I read somewhere that GSL is considered “feature complete”, but I’ve seen other
people asking for monotonic interpolation from GSL before, and it’s just a new
9407 byte file and some trivial additions to gsl_interp.h and the configuration
files.  I hope it’s an appropriate (and welcome) addition to GSL.

Jean-François