help-gss

Re: Debian packages for 0.0.18 ready

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Debian packages for 0.0.18 ready
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:44:22 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!  I've created Debian packages for GSS 0.0.18.  The Debian package
> sources is on Savannah:

I finally got a chance to look at this.  Sorry about the delay.

> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/?root=gss
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=gss

> The CVS module is debian-gss.

> I've placed a copy of packages that I built on:

> http://josefsson.org/gss/debian/
> http://josefsson.org/gss/debian/source/

> Russ, are you still interested in sponsoring this?  I hope so! :)

> The packages are lintian-clean and almost-linda-clean:

> address@hidden:/var/cache/pbuilder/result$ lintian -i -I
> gss_0.0.18-1_i386.changes

Note that a build with a current unstable chroot will produce:

W: gss-doc: install-info-not-called-with-section-option
N:
N:   It is a good idea to specify a section for the location of your
N:   program; this is done with the --section switch. To determine which
N:   section to use, you should look at the info dir file on your system
N:   and choose the most relevant (or create a new section if none of the
N:   current sections are relevant).
N:
N:   Note that this warning is spurious in case your info file contains an
N:   appropriate INFO-DIR-SECTION (@dircategory in Texinfo sources).
N:
N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 12.2 for details.

This is a spurious problem at this point; dh_installinfo no longer adds an
explicit --section argument because install-info figures it out by itself.
I'll fix lintian.

The only other concern that I have is that the shared library package
includes locales, which is going to get us into trouble when the SONAME
changes.  A libgss1 package should be co-installable with libgss0 for
transitions, but when they both contain locales, they're going to
conflict.  For shishi, we added a shishi-common package to deal with
this.

I don't think this is an immediate concern, since libgss is some distance
off from an SONAME change.  I've gone ahead and uploaded the package so
that it can start sitting in NEW, and we can poke at the locales later on.

Please note that given the proximity to the release, it would not surprise
me for completely new packages to be left in NEW for quite a while, and
this is too late in the release cycle to expect to get gss into etch.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>