Macbook 1,1 Installation

From: kristofer
Subject: Macbook 1,1 Installation
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 01:34:27 -0500

Hello!

I have working installation of GuixSD on my Macbook!
I mostly followed https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html

Here's my process:

Requirements:
GuixSD USB disk
OS X - Required initially. Dual boot is possible (not advised ;)
rEFInd bootloader - http://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

1. Boot into OS X, download rEFInd
  - unpack the zip
  - execute refind-install in the terminal
- in order to dual boot use the Disk Utility and adjust the partition table

2. Plug in your GuixSD USB disk and reboot
  - select the USB Disk from the rEFInd menu

3. Set up the partition table - Many ways to do this
  - I use cfdisk because of the curses based gui
  # cfdisk /dev/sda

  - DO NOT DELETE PARTITION sda1 as it is the EFI partition
  - Delete OS X partition (unless dual-booting)
  - Create a partition for the filesystem and the swap space

  - format the filesystem and give it a label
  # mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdaX -L root

4. Connect to the network
  - it's probably easiest to use ethernet
  - for wireless secured with WPA use wpa_supplicant
  # wpa_supplicant -i wls1 -B -c < wpa_password ESSID key
  # dhclient wls1

5. Install GuixSD
  - mount root filesystem
  # mount /dev/sdaX /mnt

  - copy on write
  # deco start cow-store /mnt

  - get the latest and greatest guix
  # guix pull

  - copy the desktop configuration template to the filesystem
  # mkdir /mnt/etc
  # cp /etc/configurations/desktop.scm /mnt/etc/

  - modify the configuration accordingly
  - (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda"))
  - (file-systems ... (device "root"))

  - system init --no-grub because we're using rEFInd
  # guix system init /mnt/etc/desktop.scm /mnt --no-grub

  - let it simmer, this could take awhile

6. Configure the bootloader
  - first locate the grub configuration generated by guix system init
  * there is likely a better way to do this *
  # ls /mnt/gnu/store | grep grub | grep cfg

  - look at the file from the `ls` command
  - in particular we want the lines that begin with "linux" and "initrd"
  - we'll need to know the path to bzImage and initrd

  - mount the EFI partition
  # mkdir ~/efi
  # mount /dev/sda1 ~/efi

  - edit the rEFInd configuration
  # nano ~/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf

- append the following code to the configuration adjusted to your environment

    menuentry GuixSD {
        icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_linux.png
        volume root
        loader /gnu/store/hashNumbersHere-linux-libre-x.x.x/bzImage
        initrd /gnu/store/diffHashGoesHere-system/initrd
options "--root=root --system=/gnu/store/initRDHash-system --load=/gnu/store/initRDHash-system/boot

    }

7. Reboot!

Thanks to #guix for all the support!
I hope this helps out some future explorers!

Kristofer Buffington