Re: Macbook 1,1 Installation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Macbook 1,1 Installation
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 10:27:33 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden skribis:

> I have working installation of GuixSD on my Macbook!

Nice, thanks for your feedback!

> Requirements:
> GuixSD USB disk
> OS X - Required initially. Dual boot is possible (not advised ;)
> rEFInd bootloader - http://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

Is it impossible to boot directly from the USB image on this machine?

> 6. Configure the bootloader
>   - first locate the grub configuration generated by guix system init
>   * there is likely a better way to do this *
>   # ls /mnt/gnu/store | grep grub | grep cfg
>
>   - look at the file from the `ls` command
>   - in particular we want the lines that begin with "linux" and "initrd"
>   - we'll need to know the path to bzImage and initrd
>
>   - mount the EFI partition
>   # mkdir ~/efi
>   # mount /dev/sda1 ~/efi
>
>   - edit the rEFInd configuration
>   # nano ~/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf
>
>   - append the following code to the configuration adjusted to your
> environment
>
>     menuentry GuixSD {
>         icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_linux.png
>         volume root
>         loader /gnu/store/hashNumbersHere-linux-libre-x.x.x/bzImage
>         initrd /gnu/store/diffHashGoesHere-system/initrd
>         options "--root=root --system=/gnu/store/initRDHash-system
> --load=/gnu/store/initRDHash-system/boot
>
>     }

I’m not familiar with GRUB’s EFI support.  Why do we need the ‘loader’
and ‘options’ lines instead of just one ‘linux’ line?

Should be provide a field in ‘grub-configuration’ that would allow one
to choose an EFI installation?  This sounds similar to special-case for
Libreboot that was recently proposed.

Thanks,
Ludo’.